Wednesday, April 19, 2006

MirthBlog - Day 5 - Origins ( Part 4 )

Around about the time of my 2nd PC about 1998 I suppose, there was another exponential leap in my lifestyle.
I had a dial-up modem and discovered how to surf the net .
I was still ahead of the game and taught many a colleague about connecting , what DNS settings were and how to send an e-mail. Most in truth didn’t care about the settings, as long as I got the thing hooked up for them.
I however am one of those people who likes to have an inkling as to why something is happening ( and why it keeps going wrong, hehe )
I was lucky enough to live in a city area that was already hooked up for cable. Any parent will tell you that if you want to play on your PC, then the best thing you can invest in is cable TV with Cartoon Network and the Disney Channel. Peace at last !
And the cable company did a great triple deal of dial-up internet, phone and the TV package for reasonable rates.

Jump ahead to the millennium. You can probably tell by now that I generally buy a new PC when a new version of Windows comes out. With my Windows ME pc, came the next great technological leap. Broadband. 512k at first, but the cable company were ahead of the competition, most of whom were offering 128.Now it was finally viable for proper online gaming !

No comments: