Monday, November 23, 2009


I've been watching the first couples of episodes of E4's Misfits with great interest.

Its got good and bad points. I'm no prude but I think its a bit to coarse at times, they are trying so hard to make superheroes for the Skins generation.

What I love though is the inherant differences between British superheroes and their American counterparts. The UK heroes ( or often anti-heroes) shun capes and tights as a rule, and replace them with sarcasm and quirkiness.
This continues the trend set by The League of Extraordinary Gentleman, both in book and film , which itself borrowed from a wealth of earlier British heroic fiction.
I must also give a nod not only to Albion , but also its inspiration the British comics of the 50's 60's and 70's . Good info found here .
2000AD's Zenith and Marvel UK's Captain Britain also played a huge part in introducing these earlier heroes and their hard to find stories to a new generation. I would love for the old Lion, Vulcun , Hotspur etc heroes to have their old stories collected into a set of graphic novels if copyright allows.

Her's hoping its a trend that continues into the 21st Century.

No comments: